From: Marc Lapierre [mailto:mlapierre@qnx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:10 AM
To: Philipp Hoschka; Abramski, Adam M
Cc: Tina Jeffrey; public-autowebplatform@w3.org; Nik Schultz; Vadim Draluk (vadim.draluk@gm.com); Brian Leroux
Subject: Re: Cordova (was: Re: some general spec feedback for consideration

Hi guys,

The idea behind Cordova for us is that is that it is essentially the main cross platform method of providing access to native services. With the proposed implementation, the vehicle object living inside the navigator object implies that the API will live on the web platform directly. There's nothing wrong with this per se, however this implies that the APIs will only be accessible on browser runtimes on the vehicle itself. If that is the goal, then this is certainly the more efficient way to implement this API.

One of our goals is to take this API and make it available to remote devices for connection to the vehicle. We don't expect those devices to have the vehicle APIs implemented into their web platform. Cordova allows us to add the APIs to any device, regardless of their web platform implementation

That said, there is nothing technically stopping us from making a Cordova plugin that will simply add the API onto the navigator object. It isn't really the typical way of doing thing, but if that's how things end up we won't be backed into a corner. I understand that the goal is to define a W3C spec and not a Cordova plugin, so I can see why Cordova is not a priority in the scope of things.

My main comment was more to keep in mind how a typical implementation will look in the grand scheme of things, and to start thinking about how a remote device implementation would work. In my mind, it would be likely to use Cordova - at least in the short term. The reality is that there is a demand for remote connectivity, which is one of the real strengths of a web environment. Perhaps this is something that will be looked at in the future, we are simply bringing it up as it is more of an immediate reality for us.

TL;DR: Cordova is mainly a concern for remote device connectivity and in our minds, the simplest/most widely accepted method of adding new standard APIs to the multiple platforms that will end up using these APIs. We aren't saying "drop everything and look at this", we are simply mentioning the road we were going down before the spec was drafted and the reasons for doing so, and seeing where the discussion lead.

Thanks,

Marc Lapierre
Team Lead - HMI, Engineering Services
QNX CAR Platform