Re: VSS Layers introduction

From: Gunnar Andersson <gandersson@genivi.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 05:52:27 +0000
To: Rudolf J Streif <rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com>, W3C Public Automotive <public-automotive@w3.org>

Thanks for pointing that out, Rudi.

(continued...)

On Wed, 2020-01-15 at 09:32 -0800, Rudolf J Streif wrote:
> Functionality of appending and/or modifying a node from one branch
> with
> a node from another branch with the same signal path is already
> available in VSS.

[trimmed]

> https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification/commit/518dfbeb2a434c9c55ec27e06c84f6e8caf941bd#diff-4a931512ce65bdc9ca6808adf92d8783

That's great and shows that this thinking was there from the beginning.
That commit indeed provides an implementation that is a starting point
for the behavior that this proposal looks for.

> > The commit message states:

[trimmed]

> Now that does not cover everything from Gunnar's slides (in
> particular
> there is no wildcard support) but it's a starting point.

Yes.  And a few other differences that come to mind.  These are things
that might be added on top of the current model, *if* the layers idea
were adopted:

1) Potential for *any number of* layers. (As of now the private branch
acts as a *one* additional "layer" that can override and add data, as
you now described)

2) A proposal of layers as parallell files in the same directory tree
-- with different file suffix --  (it would complement the current
model that places /private as a parallel directory subtree)

3) The presentation hints at some additional higher level concepts that
would allow defining metadata about the layers themselves.
and as a corrollary it also suggests that we are effectively defining
some varying file types.  I.e. they might not be formally .vspec" files
but something else.   (The current /private "layer" does not explicitly
make a distinction, and basically assumes ".vspec" files to be there).
I'm not sure how important that is but it seemed useful to me.

Best Regards,
- Gunnar

P.S. Since we are now talking about VSS specifics, I expect the details
of this will be sorted out using GitHub issues, but if it is in the
interest of the W3C participants then of course by all means feel free
to continue the discussion here.

It's a great start however.