Re: Proposal for Remote Procedure Call extensions to VISS.

Top posting as well.

@Ulf -
Our initial intent with the proposal was to extend VISS, in a backward compatible way, with RPC calls.
It started of as a protocol that only shared the websocket with the pub/sub part, so that we don't have to run several endpoints for a single session.
We then discussed merging signal semantics with RPCs, which seems to be a less than ideal solution. I believe that is where we are right now.

I think the part forward for VISS, should we decide to expand that protocol while we figure out a long-term solution, would be to separate RPC calls from the existing pub/sub calls so that their only commonality is that they run over a single websocket. That leaves us with how we specify services (if we don't expand the VSS format). If there is interest I can check if we can release our internal YAML service catalog format as input to that conversation.

@Rudi -
I agree with that we should focus on the what, or rather the why. As I said previously, we internally run RPCs to actuate state change in the vehicle and signals to report status. The alternative is to have setter signals to actuate change, with which I see a number of problems:

  1.  Return values
Defining return values is non-trivial using pub/sub since you will end up with transaction signals and other context-specific, short-lived data that really is outside the scope of pub/sub.

  2.  Contracting
Defining a call contract is easier to do when you have a well-defined parameters and return values with legal intervals and assert conditions. This allows us to write validation systems for call sequences at a higher abstraction level than is possible with pub/sub.
Signals are more nebulous since there may be multiple recipients that act on them, and there are no real boundaries of when signals can or cannot be transmitted.

  3.  Complex call sequences
Once we start seeing A --(call)--> B --(call)--> C --(return)--> B --(return)--> A, it will be almost impossible to trace those calls using only pub/sub-only .
Implementing a transaction ID (or rather a transaction ID stack to track the call flow) is fairly easy using RPCs, but not really a thing you want to do using signals.

  4.  Type management
RPC specification languages usually allow you to declare (nested structs) and other self-contained data types that can be atomically transmitted as an argument or return value to an RPC.
While this is possible using pub/sub as well, the natural boundaries and distinctiveness of a typedef cannot be reproduced in a signal tree.

I would love to hear dissenting opinions on the list above since I believe there are more things to explore here.

/Magnus F.

-------------------
System Architect Manager
Jaguar Land Rover

Email: mfeuer1@jaguarlandrover.com<mailto:mfeuer1@jaguarlandrover.com>
Mobile: +1 949 294 7871

[https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/OfaGrHPlawsuQPtTYPlu2XkJRCrzJtHOGv2OSrFHsvJ6km-xYenAYwOsmmC-X18PrWn7LzA6AM--8oIU05Ifg6GD=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.jaguarlandrover.com/email/jlr.jpg]

Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
1450 NW 18th Ave, Portland, OR 97209
Business Details:
Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered in England No: 1672070

This e-mail and any attachments contain confidential information for a specific individual and purpose.  The information is private and privileged and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, please e-mail us immediately.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

This e-mail does not constitute an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official purchase order.