Re: Gen2 ideas

Hi,

> Array data type: Like Magnus, I am not entirely convinced of the "elements" property.
> It might be for backwards compatibility but if "value" now in general is expressed as an
> array that would not help much. An array is not a data type on its own as it holds multiple
> elements of a certain data type. Maybe "value" should be in general treated as an array of
> the data type but the server could unpack it automatically if there is only one element in
> the array e.g. instead of returning [5], it returns 5.
After the discussion we had yesterday, I’d say the extensions [1] could serve exactly this purpose.

Best,
Daniel

  1.  https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification/issues/81

---
BMW Group
Daniel Wilms
Forschung, Neue Technologien, Innovationen
E/E Architektur, Technologien (LT-3)
Parkring 19
85748 Garching

Postanschrift:
80788 München

Tel: +49-89-382-60577
Mail: daniel.dw.wilms@bmw.de<mailto:daniel.dw.wilms@bmw.de>
Web: http://www.bmwgroup.com/

Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Vorstand/Board of Management: Harald Krüger (Vorsitzender/Chairman),
Milagros Caiña Carreiro-Andree, Markus Duesmann,
Klaus Fröhlich, Pieter Nota, Nicolas Peter,
Peter Schwarzenbauer, Oliver Zipse.
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Norbert Reithofer
Sitz und Registergericht/Registered in Germany: München HRB 42243

From: Rudolf Streif <rstreif@partner.jaguarlandrover.com>
Date: Tuesday, 14. May 2019 at 22:16
To: Magnus Feuer <mfeuer1@jaguarlandrover.com>, "Björkengren, Ulf" <ulf.bjorkengren@volvocars.com>, public-automotive <public-automotive@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Gen2 ideas

Hi Ulf,

Thanks for thinking about the next step.

I like your proposal. In regards to the slides:

  *   WS/http access restriction: I think that's a good idea. I second it.
  *   Access restriction tagging of resources: That is a good idea too.

     *   I would call the property "access" considering that the settings are "none", "write", "readwrite".
     *   I am missing "readonly" for the "access" property.
     *   For attributes which are readonly by default erroneous settings need to be addressed e.g. write or readwrite on an attribute is not allowed.
     *   Not sure why for branches the property would need to be called differently ("restricted-default"). Why wouldn't it just be "restricted" (or "access" according to my proposal)?
     *   To clarify:

        *   The branch setting would only apply if there is no explicit setting for a leaf.
        *   For branches inside of a branch aka a child-branch, the child-branch setting overrides the parent branch unless the child-branch does not specify it.

     *   Access restriction properties could be provided by OEMs in form of overlays.
     *   Probably need to call out the implicit access defaults for the different element types:

        *   Attribute: read-only
        *   Sensor: read-only
        *   Actuator: write-only
        *   Branch: none
        *   RBranch: none

  *   Array data type: Like Magnus, I am not entirely convinced of the "elements" property. It might be for backwards compatibility but if "value" now in general is expressed as an array that would not help much. An array is not a data type on its own as it holds multiple elements of a certain data type. Maybe "value" should be in general treated as an array of the data type but the server could unpack it automatically if there is only one element in the array e.g. instead of returning [5], it returns 5.
:rjs