WoT Binding Templates

From: Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 17:50:01 -0400
To: public-automotive <public-automotive@w3.org>
We had a short call today and we discussed in brief WebOfThings Working
Group's Binding Templates which might be interesting for us.

As people may recall we were discouraged at our Lyon meeting by Yves
Lafon (W3C TAG) from going protocol-less in spite of interest in
running Gen2 against other underlying protocols other than Web Sockets
and HTTP such as MQTT or even UNIX sockets.

While mappings are suboptimal they are a plausible option and that is
what was needed by the WoT people in trying to abstract out the mix of
protocols used by IoT devices. It may be plausible to use their
solution for our needs.

Their specification:

https://w3c.github.io/wot-binding-templates/

I mentioned an explainer which also helps although it discusses their
broader architecture and not focused solely on binding templates alone.

https://github.com/w3c/wot-architecture/blob/TAG-review/proposals/WoT%20Architecture%20Explainer.md

I have reached out for success stories (or lessons learned) from their
plugfests and see if we can get a subject expert to join remotely for
this topic.

http://www.w3.org