Re: Attempting to achieve consensus re. wwwivi issue (#223)

Hi Ted,

Please see below for my comments in blue

*>> What I think would help would be to have a better understanding on
why we might have multiple VISS and whether an application is expected
to communicate with more than one.*

Imagine the team creating the new 'Hi Line' Deluxe infotainment system
decide to include a VIS Server in the infotainment system. This system will
be released in 19 Model Year (MY) on *_some_ *vehicles only

Imagine also that  a few months later, the team that is responsible for
developing the Instrument Cluster decides to design a new cluster
'back-end' ECU to be used by *_all_* cluster designs (regardless of the
particular UI for a particular cluster) from 21 Model Year onwards, and
that they think that the W3C Spec and VIS Server idea is brilliant and so
decide to use a VIS Server running on the cluster ECU to obtain processed
signals

The Cluster team cannot use the Infotainment system VIS server because the
cluster will be in *all* vehicles but the Deluxe infotainment system will
only be in *some* vehicles.
The Infotainment team cannot use the VIS Server in the Instrument Cluster
because they want to launch in 19 MY and the Cluster won't be available
until 21 MY

In general, it's probably unlikely that a single App would try to connect
to both. More typically, would be an app installed on IVI ECU connects to
VIS Server on IVI and similarly an app on the cluster ECU connects to VIS
Server on the cluster - but it is possible that an App on some other ECU
might want to access one or other of them (via the vehicle's in-vehicle
ethernet network)

>> I'm not sure who proposed wwwivi initially but agree ivi in the name is limiting.
This service can be used by the dashboard, IVI, may be useful for things
like ADAS and RVI, data sampling for V2X or insurance. and
have apps connect from smartphones, tablets and other devices in the
vehicle.

If think wwwivi came out of a group discussion at one of the F2F meetings
(possibly the one in Portland)

*If as a group, we decide we want to specify a suggested default (and we
wanted the default to include w3.org <http://w3.org> or w3.org.local), we
could follow e.g. the following scheme:*

We could have a default naming scheme of either *<location>.<spec>.w3.org
<http://w3.org>* or *<location>.<spec>.w3.org.local * If we assume that
'w3.org.local' or 'w3.org' part is denoted by <suffix>, we could then have
suggested defaults like the following:

ivi.viss.<suffix>          to specify default value for VIS Server on IVI
ECU
cluster.viss.<suffix>   to specify default value for VIS Server on cluster
ECU
adas.ivi.<suffix>        to specify default value for VIS Server on adas ECU

The same conceptual issue will affect 'finding' local RVI services - once
RVI is available, this could then have as defaults:

ivi.rvi.<suffix>          to specify default value for VIS Server on IVI ECU
cluster.rvi.<suffix>   to specify default value for VIS Server on cluster
ECU
adas.rvi.<suffix>        to specify default value for VIS Server on adas ECU

Personally, I don't have a strong view on whether we include a suggested
default or not, but I would suggest that if we can't agree, we de-scope
this whole debate and simply state that "the implementer of a VIS Server
will document how to connect to the VIS Server". [Which could of course be
via a Discovery mechanism or by configuration]

[Unfortunately Adam and I will not be able to attend next months F2F, but
if it can't be resolved in github/email, it would be great if at the F2F
this could be made a priority - as it is the only issue preventing the spec
from moving forward...]

Regards,

Kev

*Kevin Gavigan BSc, MSc, PhD, MCP, MCTS*
*Software Architect*
*Connected Infotainment*
*Electrical, Electronic and Software Engineering (EESE)*
Jaguar Land Rover

*Mobile: 07990 084866*
*Email:* kgavigan@jaguarlandrover.com

*Office address:*
GO03/057 • Building 523, Gaydon • Maildrop: (G03)
Jaguar Land Rover • Banbury Road • Gaydon • Warwick • CV35 0RR