Re: auto-ACTION-1: Work with ted and kaz on github repository layout

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:59 AM, Ted Guild <ted@w3.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-04-28 at 14:46 -0700, Dave Jensen wrote:
> > If you want to look at changes to just one file, that is already
> > supported in git and github has a good interface for this.
> >
> > I suspect a git sub-repo would be overkill. Do we even need multiple
> > repos? Can you expand on other concerns of having just one repo?
>
> It depends.  If we are successful in getting enough resources to develop
> some of the types of deliverables we want then yes.

There was
> discussion of a conformance test suite for the vehicle and data api
> specs for instance.  That can be open and allow for contributions from
> anyone implementing these specs, reviewed on pull requests.  The
> individual test cases can amount to a sizable number of files although
> that seems less likely for these specs compared to CSS3 for instance.
>
> A different set of contributors, with some potential overlap, will work
> on navigation and media tuning deliverables.  They are not going to want
> to have to do a unrelated pulls before pushing some minor change to
> their work.

> If this can be reworked again later and if we face that problem then we
> can keep it simple for now.

Agreed, I'd rather keep it simple and have a mitigation plan for if/when we
have a multitude of resources working on several projects.

Regarding the test suite, since it's a different project, it really should
have a different repository. It appears that other working groups have
multiple repos on github.

Lastly, I apologize if anybody is already a git power user but I have a few
comments about git basics. First, for the integrity of the repo, there is
no such thing as an unrelated commit/pull and trying to get around that can
cause headaches. Second, the downstream user will not even notice the
difference if a set of commits are unrelated to their work, it will merge
painlessly. Third, there are roughly two camps for git workflow. If the
team doesn't want to be bothered with upstream changes until they complete
a "feature," then we can use feature branches. One or more people work on a
feature branch, when the feature is done, merge back to master.