Re: Automotive Payments

While both the W3C Automotive and Web Commerce activities are
proceeding strongly with specifications being implemented and new areas
  explored, we have not been successful yet align with any of the major
payment solution providers in automotive. Essentially there are
competing efforts to get proprietary solutions out quickly as was Matt
Miller's opinion from Mastercard. There are people asking for a more
standards based solution.

https://www.w3.org/2018/04/26-autopay-minute

Solutions based on W3C Web Payments in vehicles are feasible. I spoke
with Rodrigo on today's call about WEX's prototyping and lessons
learned. Various data points from vehicle signals they would like to
capture for fraud reduction and fleet management.

https://github.com/w3c/automotive-pay/wiki/PayAtPumpExplainer

There is a separate task force on using W3C's vehicle signals standards
for sending data to the cloud, adding an ontology, providing data
contracts and capturing owner/operator consent to collect and share
that information with third parties. This effort is not addressing
financial transactions but certainly of interest for fleet management.

One of the challenges Ian and I debate is how the auto manufacturers
want and need to ensure a consistent user interface and experience. A
head unit in a vehicle would generally not go directly to a merchant
site to make a payment for gas, tolls, parking etc. Design would be
inconsistent and confusing. I could see the auto manufacturers or
service providers creating a web based proxy service that would
leverage W3C Web Payments, interact with the backend merchant sites yet
present a more uniform interface to the driver. There are certainly
other ways to architect a solution that could still leverage W3C Web
Payments.

There may be other aspects of a complete (partially proprietary)
payment solution that could benefit from W3C automotive and other
standards, WebAuthN for instance.

We are continuing to meet with solution providers and want to hear from
this group on whether and how W3C should continue in this automotive &
payments intersection.

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Automotive Lead