Re: [Agenda] WG/CG Telecon Thurs Feb 4 9:00 am PST

Attendees:Eftychia Lakka, Attila Haraszti, Ruth John, Athanasios Malamos,
Jeff Switzer, Raymond Toy, Chris Lilley, Chrisoph Guttandin, Don Brutzman,
Jeff Switzer

Minutes:

   - Special Guest: Don Brutzman presenting X3D4 specification
      - What is X3D: https://www.web3d.org/x3d/what-x3d
      - Overview: https://web3d.org/x3d4
         - Also Eftychia Lakka, Athansio Malamos
         - Don: Has been following WebAudio
         - Don: Has integrated WebAudio with the 3D standard.
         - Don: See
         https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2021JanMar/0010.html
         - Athanasios: Trying to get al the benefits of WebAudio with
         virtual reality through X3D.  Working on getting VR into
browsers including
         spatial audio.  All of these in the same language and API to
support VR.
         - Efty: Gives examples of the API.
         - Don: Converted WebAudio API to declarative form/xml.
         Coordinated with scene design.
         - Athanasios: integrated into HTML, no JS required.
         - Don: EXamples online.
         http://www.medialab.teicrete.gr/minipages/x3domAudio
         - Don: Web3D Consortium manages overall project
         - Don: Sound component was really simple, but it's been expanded
         to integrate scene graph with audio graph (done by Efi)
         - Don: Want to include diffusion, difrraction, reflection for
         audio.
         - Don: Get a declarative audio graph.
         - Don: Want high-fidelity accoustics, but not done.  But very
         similar to graphics rendering but with way fewer polygons.
         - Don via chat: Use cases of interest can explore how to take full
         advantage of
         - interactive user audio while navigating in 3D, -
         platform-independent content for Web browser and standalone
applications, -
         recreating high-fidelity audio for actual and imagined locations, -
         emerging work: high-fidelity acoustics, material properties, etc.
         X3D Working Group is keen to fully understand important W3C Audio
         API issues like - multichannel output, - stream handling, - metadata
         conventions, - Semantic Web connections.
         - Athan: Workgroup is open, meeting Wed 10am.
         - Q&A:
            - Ray: What's biggest missing item from WebAudio
            - Athanasios: Multichannel
            - Christoph: What kind?
            - Athanasios: Like Dolby Atmos
            - Ray: Not familiar with Atmos, but supports at least 32
            channels
            - Athanasios: Need to spread sound around the room.
            - Ray: Hongchan did a demo aat CCRMA with multiple speakers.
            - Don: Use cases of interest can explore how to take full
            advantage of
            - interactive user audio while navigating in 3D, -
            platform-independent content for Web browser and
standalone applications, -
            recreating high-fidelity audio for actual and imagined locations, -
            emerging work: high-fidelity acoustics, material properties, etc.
            X3D Working Group is keen to fully understand important W3C
            Audio API issues like - multichannel output, - stream
handling, - metadata
            conventions, - Semantic Web connections
            - Raymond: Please file issues with whatever problems you find
            so it can be tracked.
            - V1
      - CR and Rec Status
         - Testimonials
            - Chris:
               https://w3c.github.io/spec-releases/milestones/?cr=2021-01-14
               - Chris: So we need testimonials by Feb 23.
               - Chris: Some examples:
               https://w3c.github.io/spec-releases/milestones/?cr=2021-01-14,
                https://www.w3.org/2018/02/media-advisory-woff2-rec.html.en
               - Chris: Need at least 3-4.  If  fewer, may not do it.
               Non-W3C is ok, as long as there aren't too many.
               - Christoph: Can ask Michel Buffa.
               - Chris:  Apple is another candidate
               - Ray: I'll try to ask Jer about it.
               - 9 Outstanding issues
            - Interrupted state for AudioContext
            <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/72>
               - Raymond: What is the priority?  Kind of important since
               Safari has already done this.
               - Christoph: Yes.
               - Raymond: Make it priority 2 for now.
            - ABSN.start control messages
            <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2248>
            - Invoking JS in the rendering loop needs a bunch of setup that
            doesn't seem to be in the spec
            <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/1967>
and Integration
            between event-loop of AudioWorkletGlobalScope and rendering loop
            <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2008>
         - PRs
            - Fix #2248: Clean up ABSN start algorithm
            <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/pull/2286>
            - Admin: Fix #2291: Add script to create a zip for for CR
            <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/pull/2290>
               - Ray: Asks Chris L to take a look.
            - V2
         - Admin
            - Get Travis CI working to deploy the v2 spec.
            <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/114>
         - priority-1 issues
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Apriority-1>
            - Expose AudioBuffer to DedicatedWorker
            <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/111>
               - Raymond: Expose context or just AudioBuffer then context?
               Not sure what the approach should be.
               - Jeff: Would like the whole context
               - Raymond: Wait for feedback for WebCodecs
               - Attila: seeing how long it usually takes i think option 1
               might be just as efficient
            - Render capacity
            <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/40>
               - Raymond: Hongchan has made some comments on the api using
               enums.
               - Raymond: prefers numbers
               - Don: Really good to tackle this problem.  In the early
               years of multicast, many problems on congestion
control.  Good to see work
               on this in WebAudio to deal with "avoidance" instead of
"control".
               - Don: Similar computer science challenge: Sally Floyd
               correctly identified in the 90s that "congestion
control" wasn't the right
               problem, rather "congestion avoidance" was the
appropriate technical
               motivation to deal with problematic processing
(routing) overloads.
               https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_congestion
               - Jeff:  Agree with both viewpoints in the issue; no
               particular comments on either.
               - Attila: Is there any other API?
               - Jeff: Hongchan mentioned that in the bug.
               - Athanasios: Overloading is interesting open issue.

Thanks to our special guest Don Brutzman.

And thanks to all the attendees.

See you all next week!