Re: [Agenda] WG/CG Telecon Thurs Nov 19, 9:00 am PST

Attendees: Jack Schaedler, Matthew Paradis, Chris Lilley, Paul Adenot,
Raymond Toy

Minutes:
- V1

   - Outstanding issues
      - AudioWorkletProcessor makes false assumptions
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2271>
         - Raymond:  Summarizes issue from last time.  I think we need to
         decide to close this or work on it for v1 or v2.
         - Paul: You use an if statement.  What's the alternative?
         - Raymond: He was proposing suspend/resume API instead.
         - Raymond: Ok with closing or moving to v2.
         - Paul: We can do that.  Suspend/resume is complicated.
         - [Raymond updates issue]
      - Frozen arrays for AudioWorklet
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/1933>
         - Raymond:  Hongchan gave LGTM, so I think we're ready
         - Paul:  Good.  Hopefully Firefox will implement this soon.
      - ABSN.start control messages
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2248>
         - Raymond: I'll try to take a stab.
      - 2295 and 2008
         - Paul: I'm working on these.  Firefox does something and I'm
         writing some tests.  The text shouldn't be too hard, but
ordering of the
         text is a bit complicated.
         - Raymond:  Cool.  These are the other major blockers.

- V2

   - Issues
      - pause/resume ABSN
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/105>
         - Raymond: Discussed last time but no resolution
         - Raymond: Has implementation effects
         - Paul: Yeah, in Firefox, after stopping, all the buffers and
         everything are trashed, saving lots of time and space.
         - Paul: Add that we will add playbackPosition so you can save the
         position and restart a new one with the same buffer at that offset.
         - Raymond: I'll update the issue with these comments.
      - NoiseGenerator
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/8> with BigInt
      interface?
         - Raymond:  Summarizes issue
         - Paul: I watched the videos.  Nice, but super complicated proofs
         - Paul: I can ask SpiderMonkey folks about exposing this on the
         web.  I don't want to be first. :-)
         - Raymond: Somebody has to be first. :-)
         - Jack: For what it's worth, I think many audio people are totally
         happy with pretty janky random number generators
         janky == old school
         - Raymond: We'll wait for SpiderMonkey
         - priority-1 issues
   <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Apriority-1>
   - Select audio device
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/10>, get device
      change notification, audio config
         - Paul: We're starting implementation.  So instead of taking an
         ID, it takes a promise from a picker and exposes info there.
(It's part of
         webrtc somewhere).  But we should have an api using device id?
         - Raymond: Can you summarize this in the issue?
         - Paul: Yes.
         - Raymond: See also
         https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/10#issuecomment-670094506
         - Paul: MediaElement doesn't, for example, provide the sample rate
         - Raymond: They could.
         - Paul: I tried before to get this and channel counts.  Didn't go
         anywhere.
      - Use WASM more efficiently (BYOB)
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/4>
         - Raymond: No new ideas from me.
         - Paul: Same
      - Inspect CPU usage
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/40>
         - Paul: Fingerprinting is a problem. Could reduce accuracy
         - Raymond: Fuzzing performance.now
         - Paul: Yes.  But if it's not useful, might be better not to have
         it at all.
         - Paul: I'll talk to Mozilla folks about performance.now without
         fuzzing.
         - Meeting closed.
      - Render block sizes
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/13>
      - AudioWorkletProcessor supposed to be stateless?
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/13>
      - Others?
   - PRs
      - Bikeshed boilerplate
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/pull/95>

- AOB

   - No meeting Thu, Nov 26 (Thanksgiving Holiday in the US)
   - Next meeting Thu, Dec 3.
      - Paul: I'll be out starting Dec 15
      - Raymond: I'll probably be off the week of Christmas.