Re: [Agenda] WG/CG Telecon Thurs Nov 12, 9:00 am PST

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 8:03 AM Raymond Toy <rtoy@google.com> wrote:

> Here's the agenda for our WG/CG meeting.
>
> Meeting venue https://meet.google.com/wgg-wjtd-kdu
>
> Agenda:
>
>    - WebCodec updates
>
>  Paul:  TPAC breakout session new API/primitives for performance
reasons.  WebGPU say they're copying too much.  WebAudio has the same
problem so you can't recycle memory, for example.  Similar to WebGPU issue
where memory bandwidth is the problem and we want to reduce GC.

For machine learning, there's the same problem having to copy things to the
GPU.

WebGPU has opened an issue on this
<https://github.com/WICG/reducing-memory-copies/issues>.  We should open
our own issues discussion our particular needs.  There's some overlap.

ECMAscript adding const data.

People from browser vendors, Intel, AI people, MSFT (webcodecs/webrtc)
attended.

Raymond: How is this different from FrozenArray?
Paul: Array contents can be changed.
Hongchan: A unified API could take too long?
Paul: That's a problem.
Paul: Basically we can pass "const" data between threads without
detaching.  For example huge sample banks in memory. Currently need to
detach to send to the audio thread.  Or copy to SharedArrayBuffer.
Hongchan: Next step is to provide info on audio needs
Paul: Yes. It's an exercise in finding what issues we have.  Cases where it
would be nice if we didn't detach or copy memory.
Hongchan: How do we engage?
Paul: It was a one-off.  For now we start with the issue tracker.  Maybe
later call for meetings.
Paul: Use cases: AudioWorklet, maybe. ConvolverNode copying
Hongchan: I'd like to focus on WASM copying.
Paul: Yes, that's important.
Paul: It's not sufficient to do things just for us.  We need to work with
other groups to make sure everything works together.
Hongchan: Why don't we write a short doc with what we want.
Paul: Could just +1 if we're happy with the proposals
Hongchan: Can't say without seeing the actual proposal
Hongchan: Let me start an email thread to gather info.

>    - V1
>       - Outstanding issues
>          - AudioWorkletProcessor makes false assumptions
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2271>
>
> Raymond: What do we want to do here?
Paul: Chrome seems to work well without too many glitches with realtime
priority
Raymond: Yes, no glitches except when I mash the button constantly.
Paul: Don't think we need to change the API.  It's implementation issues.
Transferring array buffers is fine.
[Paul summarizes]

>    - Status of outstanding issues that we should fix for v1.
>          - Frozen arrays for AudioWorklet
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/1933>
>
> Raymond: Just needs review

>    - ABSN.start control messages
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2248>
>
> Raymond: Need help because I'm confused on what's being said.

>    - Any others?
>       - Open PRs to be reviewed
>          - ABSN extrapolation
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/pull/2256>
>
> Raymond: I fixed Karl's comments; looks good to me.  Just would like Paul
to review again.
Paul: Ok.

Paul: New PR: https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/pull/2273
Raymond: I think the PR is right
Paul: Yes.

>    - V2
>       - New issues
>          - pause/resume ABSN
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/105>
>
> Hongchan: not clear what the use-case is.
Paul:  playbackRate is a good solution.  Hard to say what ABSN should
produce after pausing.
Raymond: I think he was on the slack channel.  I'll ask for more details.

>    - New comments
>          - NoiseGenerator
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/8>
>
> Raymond: Describes bigint addition in JS and WebIDL.  Chrome and Firefox
both have BigInt. Don't know when they'll add idl support for that in
browsers.
Paul: I'll take a look.
Raymond: No rush. I'm happy with just using an array.

>    - priority-1 issues
>       <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Apriority-1>
>          - Select audio device
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/10>, get
>          device change notification, audio config
>          - Use WASM more efficiently (BYOB)
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/4>
>          - Inspect CPU usage
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/40>
>          - Render block sizes AudioWorkletProcessor supposed to be
>          stateless?
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/13>
>          - Others
>       - PRs
>          - Bikeshed boilerplate
>          <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/pull/95>
>       - AOB

Meeting adjourned.  Next meeting will be Nov 19, but there will be no
meeting on Nov 26 (Thanksgiving holiday in the US.)

See you all next week.