Re: webaudio pause/resume/seek

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Marc Breuer <marcgfx@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an endlessly looping sample and would like to jump to different
> positions within it to randomize the output.
>
> currently I believe this is what is expected for every jump:
> I must stop the current AudioBufferSourceNode
> I must create a new AudioBufferSourceNode and start at my desired position
>
> maybe there is a better approach? what I am doing seems rather
> wasteful/complicated.

AudioBufferSourceNode are cheap to create, this is the recommended
approach. No copy happens when setting the buffer, for example.

> I have the same issue for audio I need to pause/resume, as I cant find a way
> to continue playing at a desired position.
>
> my current implementation for pause/resume is to simply turn volume to 0 and
> back. I had implemented it setting/getting AudioContext.currentTime, but I
> only just noticed that this property is readonly in the specs.
> my jumping implementation fails badly and seems to stack up more and more
> samples
> I could post some code if desired, but decided against bloating the question

You can now use suspend/resume for that. It's available on recent
Firefox and Chrome (at least on canary/nightly builds, I'm not exactly
sure when it's gonna be available in release).

Also, this is probably not the right venue for such questions, please
direct those to public-audio-dev [0] in the future. This mailing list
is to discuss spec issues.

Cheers,
Paul.

[0]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio-dev/