Re: Call for Consensus: retire current ScriptProcessorNode design & AudioWorker proposal

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
wrote:

> I don't think we should remove anything from the spec until we're
> confident that we can drop support.

OK.  I can mark it as deprecated for now.

> Furthermore, I think there are two use-cases where the current main-thread
> API is actually OK:
> -- Capturing and analyzing audio data, i.e., a pure sink.
> -- Generating audio data, i.e., a pure source.
> The current main-thread API only really sucks when you're trying to take
> input and produce output. Is there disagreement about that?

Actually, in both of those cases it's still sub-optimal due to its design.
 There will always be latency introduced due to the thread-passing, and
you'll always have to continually alloc and dealloc new Buffers to prevent
races.  Its only benefit is simplicity in implementation (namely, that you
don't have to use postmessage to transfer parameters).