RE: AudioBufferSourceNode.buffer how to work it.

I think I'm confused.  The spec says:

The number of channels of the output always equals the number of channels of the AudioBuffer assigned to the .buffer attribute, or is one channel of silence if .buffer is NULL.

I had interpreted NULL to mean 0. But there's also the Javascript object null.

I'm not sure what the spec is saying now, so my comments on your examples maybe be all wrong.

Khno> "or is one channel of silence if .buffer is NULL."

I believe that is Javascript object null. That was mentioned a nullable buffer in this code reivew.

If it is not common word expression "nullable", I sorry make you confused.

https://codereview.chromium.org/190953005/

In my investigation, source.buffer =0; returns

FF TypeError : "Value being assigned to AudioBufferSourceNode.buffer is not an object"

Chrome TypeError : "Failed to set the 'buffer' property on 'AudioBufferSourceNode': The provided value is not of type 'AudioBuffer'."

source.buffer = null; returns

FF : Fine.

Chrome TypeError: "Failed to set the 'buffer' property on 'AudioBufferSourceNode': buffer cannot be null."

I would like to fix this one on chrome, setting a nullable buffer.

One second thoughts, "there was no "when" which could control accurate timing on setting a buffer at source node that was already started.",

I think we should consider about implementation separately between AudioBufferSourceNode and AudioBuffer.

The "when" in start() or stop()  is specific time for AudioBufferSourceNode, NOT a buffer's start or stop timing.

If JS developers want to make two sound stream with different timing, they should have created two AudioBufferSourceNode as you know.

But, AudioBufferSourceNode should be able to play any AudioBuffers even if there is changing of AudioBuffer on runtime

until finishing to render current AudioBuffers(no loop attributes in sourceNode) or intentional calling stop().

In AudioBufferSourceNode perspective, if there is a current buffer which is not reached duration time, it must be running if there is no calling a stop(0 or AudioContext.currentTime).

In addition, if there is stop(AudioContext.currentTime + 20sec), Node must be running until end time.

According to https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/15, the spec has been changed to allow calling a stop() multiple times differently with start().

"Discussion results: last-called stop() should take effect, i.e. an overwrite of the last stop(). Multiple stop() invokes should not throw, even if the playback has already stopped."

It means JS developer can make stopping a AudioBufferSourceNode delay with overwrite stop() with new "when".

In spec,

The stop method

Schedules a sound to stop playback at an exact time.

The when parameter describes at what time (in seconds) the sound should stop playing. It is in the same time coordinate system as AudioContext.currentTime. If 0 is passed in for this value or if the value is less thancurrentTime, then the sound will stop playing immediately

So, it mentioned AudioContext.currentTime. The "when" is based on AudioContext.currentTime. It means JS developer should call start or stop with "AudioContext.currentTime + delta".

This kind of description supports that "when" is meaningful for AudioBufferSourceNode's life cycle and scheduling, NOT a buffer.

I think that FF is working properly below 5 test cases. https://codereview.chromium.org/190953005/, it is giving same behavior to Chrome as FF do except case 5.