Re: Integer PCM sample formats to Web Audio API?

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Jukka Jylänki <jujjyl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, that would definitely help with the int->float->int problem for
> mobile, and allow lifting JS code from having to implement signal format
> conversion. However it will not directly help with memory issues. If the
> browser stores the data internally as float, it will still require twice
> the memory. If that improvement would let browser store the audio data as
> 16-bit int as well, then I think it would be helpful.

Yes, we could store the AudioBuffer contents as 16-bit samples and convert
to float on the fly, so I think it would solve the memory usage issues.

Furthermore, if you avoid mixing and processing --- so at any given time
there's only one active AudioBufferSourceNode feeding into an
AudioDestinationNode --- we could skip the float conversion entirely. But
that's a bit tricky and unclear if it's really worth doing.

waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w