Re: De-zippering and the fundamental issue of target users

+1, and just one more angle on this — by way of an analogy.

How would web developers feel if visual animation was applied by default for all changes in HTML geometry, and they had to set some special property in order to “really mean it” when they moved or resized an HTML element?

Yes, animated motion usually looks better than a jump for many simple cases. But this doesn't make it a good idea to bake animation into the CSS API. And in fact, sure enough (even before CSS3 made it easier) users were perfectly happy with using JS middleware, i.e. jQuery, to get animated motion.

Dezippering is no different. It’s a type of animation, but in the audible realm. Sometimes you want it, sometimes not. When you do want it, there are a lot of fussy, context-dependent conditions governing where and how it is used. We should not be guessing at these very un-obvious conditions (e.g. prescribing that gain should have it but playbackRate shouldn’t, etc.).

So I continue to agree with the De-dezipperers. Let’s make this something that’s easy to do… if you want it. It doesn’t belong in the spec.

Joe Berkovitz
President

Noteflight LLC
Boston, Mass.