Re: Races - how bad?

Going back to the aim of my original email, I am starting to think that we should be cautious about any asynchronous transitions from immutability/liveness to mutability, even if accompanied by an event dispatch. Just as an explicit start() call forces a transition to a live state, some other imperative action (like forced node disconnection) by application code should be required to force a transition back to a non-live, mutable state. Otherwise the door is left open to borderline will/won't work behavior by apps that ignore the event in question.

The disconnect() action is a bit more troubling than start() perhaps. Is there the possibility for disconnect() to take some small amount of time to take effect in the audio thread, during which races wrt audio rendering are possible? Start() doesn't have that problem, the cases are not quite symmetrical.

But perhaps disconnect() on a live node already has some implicit nondeterminism. Which for some will raise the question: why is that degree of nondeterminism not considered a "race"?

Joe Berkovitz
President
Noteflight, LLC
www.noteflight.com