Re: New proposal for fixing race conditions

From: Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 08:52:33 -0700
Cc: Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>, WG <public-audio@w3.org>
To: Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>

On Jul 30, 2013, at 8:47 AM, Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does this impose a performance cost on Float32Array access, BTW? I tried figuring it out on my own but I've been following leads in the WebKit source for a while and haven't found the code that does this.

We re-used the high-order bit in ArrayBufferView's offset to track non-neuterableness.  So yes, in that offset calculations now need to mask off that bit, but the cost is negligable.

See:
http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WTF/wtf/ArrayBufferView.h#L134
http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WTF/wtf/ArrayBuffer.cpp#L36

-Jer