Re: Proposal for fixing race conditions

2013-07-04 12:08, Robert O'Callahan skrev:
> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com
> <mailto:mage@opera.com>> wrote:
>
>     The only real concern I have seen so far for *not* fixing the API
>     is performance.
>

> To be clear, it's only the performance of existing content. I think
> it's pretty clear we can add new APIs that give equivalent performance
> to the racy approach, without the races.

If that's the case, I'd have to state again that I think that the
performance of existing content must be of very low priority. We could
easily add a "best practices for optimal performance" section to a
porting guide, or as a separate Wiki page somewhere on MDN for instance.

Again, I don't find anything strange about making old interfaces
suboptimal compared to new interfaces (especially given that the old API
was experimental). People that care about performance tend to not be too
sensitive to API changes.

Kind of reminds me of when graphics hardware switched from dedicated
hardware for the fixed function OpenGL/DX pipeline to an emulated
pipeline via programmable shaders - anyone interested in performance
dropped the FF code paths and switched to shaders (even if it in this
particular case meant a lot of work).

/Marcus

--
Marcus Geelnard