Re: MIDI Tracks and Sequences

Hi Chris, Jussi, all,

As you pointed out, this kind of thing may well belong in a standard
library, but I think it might be worth taking a closer look at the
problems that are going to have to be solved, in case we discover that
lower level solutions might be better after all.

As I said, I'm currently writing a sequencer in Javascript, using
JazzMIDIBridge [5] to emulate the future Web MIDI API.

I've created my own definition of a Sequence, and can now load such
Sequences from files. The immediate problem is now to write a simple
     sequence.play()
function which will play the sequence, from beginning to end, as
accurately as possible.

In general, I expect sequences to be large (there should be no limit, in
principle, to their duration), and to contain lots of continuous control
data. So I'm creeping up on the problem, by writing a few test files.
(I'm working on Windows, and using the latest Chrome browser.)

Test 1 [1] : Starting with the JazzMIDIBridge example5 file (see [5]):
The original example5 file uses setTimeout() naively to simulate a
sequencer, and the first thing I wanted to do was implement the approach
described in [6] to cancel out the delays caused by other processes
running in the system. In other words, the delay passed to setTimeout()
is adjusted in this test so that
        (systemTime + delay)  is equal to the MIDIMessage.timestamp.
Having done that, I set the code up to play a simple sequence of 50
NOTE_ON messages at 200 milliseconds per message.
The result is much more accurate than it would have been without
adjusting the delay.
I'm not too worried about Date().getTime()'s (lack of) accuracy.
Presumably the Web Audio timer would be better, but the principle would
not change. My machine has no problem playing this test sequence
completely accurately (according to the system clock).

Test 2 [2] : the same code as test 1, except that it tries to play 1000
NOTE_ON messages at 100 milliseconds per message. That should take 100
seconds. As can be seen from the output, the delay value being passed to
setTimeout() tends to get smaller over time, because the amount of time
being used for other processes is accumulating. Eventually, the delay is
going to go negative, and it will no longer be possible to honour the
message's timestamp at all. That can be seen happening, on my machine,
in Test 3.

Test 3 [3]: is the same code as tests 1 & 2, but, with 2000 NOTE_ONs at
50 ms per message.
(I'm aware that there are issues connected with passing small delay
values to setTimeout().)

Test 4 [4]: This test uses 500 repeats of the sequence 50, 50, 50, 200
milliseconds.
I'm trying to play the sequence "as accurately as possible", and tests
1-3 show that no computer on earth is going to be able to play long,
dense sequences accurately according to the timestamps forever if it is
simultaneously doing other things. (Is that right?)
So I've started using "time drift" or "local time": The base time from
which the timestamps are measured is allowed to drift, and the drift
occurs where it is least noticed -- during the longer notes. Adding 10ms
to a long duration is less noticeable than adding it to a short one. I
don't really care if a performance which should last several minutes, is
actually a few seconds longer.
So the function which uses the timestamp to calculate the delay has to
use the previous timestamp as well, in order to know whether it can add
a bit of drift or not. The previous timestamp is therefore cached.
The algorithm for adding drift could probably be improved, but the fact
of having to add drift, and the algorithm's dependency on the durations
between timestamps is not going to change.
As defined, this sequence should should take exactly 175000 miliseconds
(just short of 3 minutes), but the last time I ran it it took about 4
seconds longer than that. But at least it sounded okay (if you like that
sort of thing) and got that far without wanting to go backwards in time! :-)

Am I missing something? I'm not at all sure that this is fundamentally
the right way to go. I was rather hoping that there could be accurate
API functions for playing/pausing/stopping/rewinding/ MIDI sequences.
But that would mean agreeing on Track and Sequence definitions. Which is
where I came in. :-)

all the best,
James

[1] http://james-ingram.de/tests/JazzMIDIBridge/ji-known-sequence1.html