Re: noteOn/noteOff and node lifetimes ...

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Srikumar Karaikudi Subramanian <
srikumarks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I agree that it does seem inconsistent. However, the current "one
> shot" design has some distinct advantages.
>
> Consider the alternatives. If multiple noteOn/noteOff sequences are
> supported for such source nodes, then there is no obvious answer to how
> sequences of noteOn/noteOff calls should be handled. For example what
> should happen for the call sequence "noteOn(1), noteOff(3), noteOn(2)"?
> Should the second noteOn override the noteOff? Should the noteOff be
> advanced to happen before the second noteOn? Should the noteOn end up
> cancelling the scheduled noteOff? etc.  Suppose each noteOn call on such a
> node is to start a new voice in parallel,  then which of these voices
> should a noteOff stop - the most recent one or all of them? No particular
> choice here seems satisfactory or obviously useful to be the default.
>
> However, if an "instantiated voice" is reified as a node (as in this "one
> shot node" design), we get explicit voice level control of the output audio
> on top of which we can build MIDI-like management mechanisms such as voice
> stealing or grouping voices into channels if we want. (If we keep
> a reference around, we can access the state of these nodes and find out
> that they have finished, since the objects won't be garbage collected.)

Yes, exactly, and explicit voice control is absolutely essential in order
to create independent envelopes (amplitude, pitch, filter, etc.) for each
voice.  Because each voice has a one-to-one relationship with a node, we're
in a great spot to do this by combining the nodes together to make the
synth.  If an AudioBufferSourceNode itself had "internal" multiple voices
then we'd be in a very bad place.