Re: Thoughts and questions on the API from a modular synth point of view

Which demo apps are those?

I will add a standard noteOn then to automatically start the oscillator, but may i add that i find it *very* strange for an oscillator to have that command?

- An oscillator oscilates, that's what it was hired to do. To oscillate. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesnt stop, it just runs.
- i could use an oscillator for very different purposes than to be a note. It could be an lfo controlling the filterfrequency, or i could drive it through a note-quantizer (that in its turn feeds frequencies to another oscillator) to make melodies out of it...yet i still have to say noteOn (a totally unrelated word in the context of these cases) before he does what i want.
- If you do use an osc as a sound for notes, the oscillator has nothing to do with (or knows about) the note actually being started or stopped, that's what an envelope is for, or in this api probably a gainnode. That's the one you would want to tell to start or stop
- if you still do want to use these commands to start or stop a note, the abruptness of starting/stopping an osc would result in very annoying clicks, so i'm wondering in what cases you would use these.

With what reason were these methods added?

Unrelated: thinking of it, a great (and very simple) option to add to the oscillator would be a sync method. Syncing an oscillator resets the waveform that's being played to the startposition, and it's amazing to hear the complex harmonic richness you can get by just being able to sync a waveform.

Which leads to me something i mentioned before: i wouldnt want a method to do oscillator-syncing, but an a-rate param reacting to a signal that goes from negative to positive (which is how analog modular synthesizers do syncing). If there was another type of parameter, let's say LogicParam, an oscillator could have one of those with the name "sync", and the description "resets the oscillator to the beginning of its waveform on GATE_ON". You could connect another oscillator (or whatever you'd like) to it and create very rich (and/or annoying) sounds.

Peter

Op 17 jul. 2012 om 22:25 heeft Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> het volgende geschreven: