Re: Thoughts and questions on the API from a modular synth point of view

Yup.  To me, that's just a sample-playback synthesizer, but then, I'm not
in anyone's marketing department.  :)

Chris has said several times that we should look at providing a more
detailed sample-playback system in the future.  You really need to support
a release sample portion as well - not just the attack and loop portions
you mention - and I'd personally say we need to handle multi-sampling
across pitch also.  Even my now-venerable Kurzweil K2000 (which I purchased
in 1993) claimed to transition through the multisamples as it portamentoed
from note to note.  (Can't remember if it claimed to do that for pitch bend
also.)  That said, the basic AudioBufferSourceNode we have today is very
useful, and its light weight makes it ideal for gaming purposes, et al.  I
think we would want to add a more complex sample playback node, not change
the current one.

-C