Re: Web audio api - ambisonics

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Matthew Paradis
<Matthew.Paradis@bbc.co.uk>wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I apologise if this has already been answered.
>
> I am looking to put together some demonstrators to do real time decoding
> of b format using the web audio api.
>
> The spec currently states that the maximum channels is 6 (to support 5.1).
> Is this likely to be increased or can it be user defined.  I'm looking at
> some "with height" applications requiring 8 speakers.

Although more detail needs to be added to the specification, the intention
is to be able to output as many channels as the output device supports.
 There's been a lot of work in the WebKit implementation to make this
possible (quite far along, but still ongoing).  So if you have a specific
complex speaker arrangement (with height speakers, etc.) then, for example,
you could take a B-format (four channel) encoded audio file, use an
AudioChannelSplitter to split out the WXYZ channels, use a number of
AudioGainNodes to setup a specific "decode" matrix, then use an
AudioChannelMerger connecting to the multi-channel destination.

Cheers,
Chris