Re: ISSUE-5: pausing a subgraph

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM, olivier Thereaux <
olivier.thereaux@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Could you have a look at it and tell me:
> * Whether the page correctly records the conversation and the issue (and
> whether I've missed anything), and
> * Whether the discussion during the teleconference on March 5th, where
> Chris stated there was sufficient control in the API, can be considered a
> suitable resolution to the issue
> ?

It sounds like Chris is saying that you can pause a subgraph by pausing all
its inputs.

It seems to me that wouldn't be satisfactory. First of all, there are no
guarantees that explicitly pausing each input will pause them all at
exactly the same moment, so pausing and resuming would break
synchronization. Secondly, this approach doesn't pause filter processing,
and for many applications pausing the inputs (and treating them as silence,
which I think is what Web Audio would do) would give different results from
pausing the subgraph. For example, if you have a filter producing echoes,
you will hear an echo after you pause the inputs, which is not what you
want if you wanted to pause the subgraph. Thirdly, having to explicitly
pause each input is not very convenient. If an app developer wants to be
able to pause the output of some complicated graph, they have to keep track
of all the active inputs themselves.

ProcessedMediaStreams does allow pausing of subgraphs.

than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]