Re: getUserMedia use cases

Hi all,

On Jan 30, 2012, at 21:11 , Doug Schepers wrote:
> On 1/30/12 11:39 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>>
>> as you probably know (or not!) there is ongoing work regarding media
>> capture that is likely to be of interest to you. It is taking place
>> as part of the Media Capture task force, the email address for which
>> is public-media-capture@w3.org.
>
> (FYI, Robin is one of the chairs of the Device APIs WG.)

(But not of the Media Capture TF — though that's administrativia :)

>> We've been working on a use cases document which you can find at:
>>
>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/media-stream-capture/scenarios.html
>
> And the spec itself is here, right?
> http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html

Correct, though as you can see it still needs a fair amount of work!

>> I think that it would be quite valuable if you were to take the time
>> to make sure that what is being built over there works well for your
>> needs, notably by checking that your requirements are properly
>> captured.
>
> As I mentioned on IRC, I believe we had discussed, a need not just for a microphone, but for multiple line-ins (lines-in?), including different mics, guitar pickups, etc.

To be honest, I believe that much of the focus from current participants has been on the stills & video side of things so I don't know if anyone has given that much thought to multiple audio inputs. That said, the current model for video input necessarily supports multiple inputs (or rather, it supports picking one input amongst several — though I don't see why that operation could not be performed multiple times to acquire multiple feeds in parallel). Based on that, I see no reason why the same model would not apply to audio and therefore to accept multiple audio input selection.

> Chris Rogers, did I get that right?  Can we work on a scenario and some requirements for the DAP WG's Media Capture task force?  Olivier, Al, can we add this to the next Audio telcon agenda?

Scenarios would be very helpful, especially if they aren't captured in the current scenarios document.

> Robin, Dom, would it make sense for the Audio WG to also participate in that Media Capture task force?

I think that it would make a lot of sense. I don't believe that anything formal is needed for that to happen, people from the Audio WG can freely join the list and contribute — you're certainly very welcome to!