Re: [Agenda] W3C Audio WG Teleconference, 13th June 2012

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:29:22 +0200, olivier Thereaux
<olivier.thereaux@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> The call will be held on June 13th at 3PM Boston time. That's noon in
> San Francisco, 3PM in New York, 8PM in London, 9PM in Paris/Oslo and
> 7am+1D in Auckland.

Regrets from me. I have one comment on the agenda:

> 1) Testing
> Let's start the conversation about the testing effort for the Web Audio
> API and MIDI API. There are already several initiatives and tests
> produced, but no coordinated effort yet. Expected outcome: rough
> agreement on type of test framework, nominate test lead(s).

I think that we should use the W3C test harness, we use this at Opera for
all of our new tests and I have no complaints about it:

http://w3c-test.org/resources/testharness.js

As for methodology, tests fall roughly into two categories:

1. Interface tests. This is things like asserting that "new
AudioContext()" returns an object of the correct type, that it has the
methods it should have, that calling ctx.createMediaElementSource() with
no argument throws the appropriate exception, and so on. These tests are
easy to write and to pass.

2. Semantic tests, to verify that the audio graph actually does the
correct thing. In general, I think we should try to implement all native
nodes in JavaScript and verify that the output is the same within some
margin of error, a graph like:

+------------+
|            |
| Oscillator |--+
|  (native)  |  |   +---------+   +------+
+------------+  |   |         |   |      |
                 +-->| Compare |-->| Sink |
+------------+  |   |   (JS)  |   |      |
|            |  |   +---------+   +------+
| Oscillator |--+

The sink (AudioDestinationNode) is there just to drive the pipeline, the
compare node would just output silence.

These tests are a lot more work to write, and should of course test every
imaginable corner case of each node type.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer