Limit in sample or ms for circular routing (Re: Minutes of Audio WG Teleconference, 2012-05-30)

On 31/05/2012 12:28, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> I think 128 samples is a bit unfortunate for authors since they specify
> the time in seconds. Couldn't we make this a limit in seconds?

This was a large part of our discussion on the call:
http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-audio-minutes.html

Chris seemed to prefer the idea of a limit in seconds, Philip seemed to
expect it would make implementations harder.

Others will be able to say this with more authority, but my
understanding is:

Seconds
* Easier for authors
* Will sound the same in all implementations regardless of sample rate
* May run into issue where limit is too low depending on
implementation's sample block size
* implementation would probably have to clamp to the closest "block"
size anyway

Samples
* Easier to implement, less risky
* May sound slightly different depending on implementation, but should
not be noticeable

Olivier