Re: Suggestion for minimizing audio glitches

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Alistair MacDonald <al@signedon.com>wrote:

> OK, that's great.
>
> Assuming there is be a WebRTC event for when a stream looses connectivity,
> I guess you would just setValueCurveAtTime() to the gain. Then ramp up
> quickly when the stream re-connects.
>
> Is that along the lines of what you were thinking Chris?

Yes, something like that.  Any of the AudioParam "automation" methods could
be useful:
        void setValueAtTime(in float value, in float time);
        void linearRampToValueAtTime(in float value, in float time);
        void exponentialRampToValueAtTime(in float value, in float time);

        // Exponentially approach the target value with a rate having the
given time constant.
        void setTargetValueAtTime(in float targetValue, in float time, in
float timeConstant);

        // Sets an array of arbitrary parameter values starting at time for
the given duration.
        // The number of values will be scaled to fit into the desired
duration.
        void setValueCurveAtTime(in Float32Array values, in float time, in
float duration);

In your particular example, I am not sure if we would receive a "WebRTC
event for when a stream looses connectivity"
ahead of time enough in advance to get a good fade-out.  But we certainly
have the sharp tools to apply gain envelopes as soon as possible based on
incoming events.  Also, in this particular example, I think I would expect
the WebRTC implementation (ideally) to apply this quick fade-out itself
internally since they're the sub-system supplying the stream.

Chris