Re: Synchronized narration work from the Sync Media Pub CG

Hi Nigel.

If I understand you correctly, the two modes you are referring to are
playback of items in time-domain and playback in some other domain, e.g.
content-ordering domain.

Using timing objects and sequencers it is pretty straightforward to support
both modes (as well as shifting dynamically between them). For instance, we
use independent timing objects for the different domains where we need
playback, and then we register the data with sequencers driven by the
different timingobjects. UI can then dispatch interaction events to the
correct playback controls (i.e.. timing object(s)).

I don't think there are any particular requirements on the data
representation to make this work. If you can deduce how a particular data
item relates to a given axis (time, ordering or whatever), then you
register sequencer cues for the item, an have enter/exit events delivered
at the correct time.

In many applications it would then be a matter of opinion which counts as
"primary" content. For instance, with a slide show presentation synced to a
video (of the slide-show presenter) you could navigate the session by video
controls whenever that makes sense, or slide-show controls in the
interactive slide viewer (on a different device). One would also want to
support dynamic switching as you leave a "primary-mode-reading" and enter
"primary-mode-listen", perhaps because your circumstances change
mid-session.

I guess a key source for this flexibility in the timing object model is the
insight that no media should be "primary" in a technical sense, implying
that media control must be separate from media.

Ingar Arntzen
Multi-device Timing Community Group