Re: [Agenda] WG/CG Telecon Thurs Dec 3, 9:00 am PST

Attendees: Jack Schaedler, Chris Lilley, Raymond Toy

Minutes:

   - Recommedatoin status
      - Chris Lilley: We should probably stop accepting new issues and push
      them to the next version.
      - Chris: We probably want to do a CR
   - Request updated CR
      - Chris:  There have been quite a few changes, let's do another CR
      - Raymond: I agree
      - Jack: Agrees

   - V1
      - New issues
         - Audio worklet error handling
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2267>
            - Chris: The last comment says we can close this.  Can we?
            - Raymond: karlt@ responded and explained things and annevk@
            said we can close it.
            - [Raymond to close with a short comment]
            - Units & examples used in DynamicsCompressorNode are ambiguous
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2279>
            - Raymond: Nice to have, but accept the PR.
            - Chris: We really want to limit new issues
            - Raymond: Can we move it to V2? And then move back to V1 if we
            really want to fix it in V1?
            - Chris: We can do that.
            - [Raymond move to v2]
            - Inconsistencies with "control thread state"
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2280>
            - Chris: I did take a quick look and understand the issue.
            - Raymond: We also have the ABSN.start issue which is somewhat
            related.
            - Chris: I see that now.
            - Raymond: I was confused on what the ABSN.start algorithm
            does.  We should clean ABSN.start and handle this at the same time.
            - Raymond: But I need to look to see what the issue says.
            - Outstanding issues
         - ABSN.start control messages
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2248>
         - Invoking JS in the rendering loop needs a bunch of setup that
         doesn't seem to be in the spec
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/1967> and
Integration
         between event-loop of AudioWorkletGlobalScope and rendering loop
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2008>
         - PRs
         - Fix #2032: ABSN extrapolates the last output
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/pull/2256>
         - Raymond: Just want someone else to take a look
            - Clarify units used in threshold & knee value calculations
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/pull/2273>
            - Raymond: Would like Paul to take a look also since he wrote
            the compressor spec.
            - V2
      - Issues
         - NoiseGenerator
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/8>: Updates
            - Raymond: Paul was to provide feedback from javascript team
            about bigint.
            - priority-1 issues
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Apriority-1>
         - Render block sizes
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/13>
            - Raymond: General agreement to do it, but corner cases not
            discussed
            - Raymond: Need to decide what values are supported and what
            happens if the requested value is not supported.
            - Raymond: There's also a fingerprinting issue if we report the
            actual value used (for "hardware").  But this can be
obtained from an
            AudioWorklet node anyway.
            - Chris: Yeah.
            - Raymond: Could round to supported value or throw error
            - Chris: An error isn't probably helpful. Just round to
            supported value and let dev decide if that's ok.
            - Jack: Nodes that do FFTs could also buffer up the audio
            themselves and then perform the FFT when they have enough
data available.
            So it might be that the FFT size never changes
            It just comes after 6.2 buffers instead of 3 or whatever.
            - Raymond: That's kind of messy because you get latency in some
            cases but not in others.
            - Jack: Yeah, I see what you mean.
            - Raymond: I think we just need to decide what is truly
            required, how to expose the actual value, and what happens
if the requested
            size is not supported.
            - Raymond: Jack, I think you said Android support and large
            sizes were the most important for you.
            - Jack: Yeah, having appropriate sizes for Android where we
            don't waste CPU is beneficial.  Larger sizes would be good
for algorithms
            that want to operate at larger sizes
            - Raymond: Agreed. I'll try to ask some Android people on why
            there are weird sizes.
         -  AudioWorkletProcessor supposed to be stateless?
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/13>
            - Raymond:  Link here is wrong. and I can't find the issue
            - Chris: I can't either.
            - Raymond: I'll try to find it and we'll take about it next
            time if needed.
            - Inspect CPU usage
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/40>: Updates
            - Raymond: Need to decide on how accurate it needs to be, what
            the units are, and how it's computed.
            - Chris:  Do we want instantaneous or smoothed?
            - Raymond: Maybe we can add a smoothing parameter to let
            developers choose the appropriate amount of smoothing.
            - Jack: I think you want both
            You definitely want worst case over the last N seconds or
            whatever
            - Jack: Something like rolling average is good to get a feel of
            where you sit, and worst case is really important to know
if there's
            something bad going on that's taking you over the deadline.
            - Raymond: This makes sense.
            - Raymond: Do we want polling or send an event if the capacity
            exceeds a threshold?
            - Jack: Ooh
            the threshold idea is nice
            - Raymond: Maybe need a low threshold?
            - Chris: Yeah, we need two for hysteresis.

See you all next week!