From: Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 8:42 PM
To: public-aria-practices@w3.org
Subject: Carousel pattern revisions based on today's meeting

Hey all,

Thank you for the awesome carousel discussion today. I just pushed the following changes to the feature branch:

  *   Revised language throughout the pattern so that auto rotation is not assumed.
  *   Removed use of term "horizontally scroll".
  *   Simplified wording of first paragraph.
  *   In second paragraph about importance of rotation control:

     *   Added sentence about properly hiding content.
     *   Clarified description of auto rotate consequences.

  *   Changed rotation control requirements list:

     *   to unordered list.
     *   to list essential elements first.
     *   To put auto-rotation related requirements in conditional sublist.

  *   In Terms, added slide to the definition list.
  *   In keyboard requirements, added note saying to not move focus when activating the prev/next/auto-rotate controls.
  *   In states and properties, added optional aria-live guidance to basic carousel section.

One question: In a grouped carousel, Should aria-disabled or aria-current be used for the picker button that corresponds to the displayed slide. What I have in the draft now is:

"The picker button representing the currently displayed slide has the property aria-disabled set to true. Note: aria-disabled is preferable to the HTML disabled attribute because this is a circumstance where screen reader users benefit from the disabled button being included in the page Tab sequence."

I was leaning toward aria-disabled because I am assuming that activating the button probably does nothing. It's not like you can "reload" a slide. On the other hand, this use case precisely fits the definition of aria-current. Using both current and disabled at the same time would be quite verbose and kind of overkill.

You can read the draft pattern at:
https://raw.githack.com/w3c/aria-practices/issue43-add-carousel-pattern/aria-practices.html#carousel

Best,
Matt