RE: ARIA AT Video Demo

Thanks for all the work on thinking through this. I unfortunately do see issues with this approach to answer your question. Thank you for asking it.

1. I do  not feel this conveys the difficulties I, James, and others face as screen reader users. It’s my understanding that a pretty long voice conversation has already occurred where James enumerated concerns.
2. I don’t think this represents a real world use case in terms of UI component usage. This feels way more like radio button territory and not a listbox/combobox implementation. Even if it is, it’s barely a toy example and it feels quite contrived to me, which hurts our chances of being heard and taken seriously IMHO. I think the example needs to match both the reality and criticality of the real world experiences we want to prevent.
3. I don’t believe this conveys the import of the matter at hand. Something far more critical like voting, a COVID test, question on an exam, a legal question with real world implications, and a myriad other examples all immediately come to mind as having far more weight. This isn’t just an opinion, both James and I are speaking from decades of lived experience being frustrated by web interfaces, and I just want to reiterate that I think lots of specifics have already been conveyed via a voice channel so I’m not repeating them here in the interests of time, but happy to discuss alternate approaches.
4. I don’t believe this will resonate as much with the general public, or let’s say the general web designer/developer/denizen public like so many other examples would, especially those in which we can make someone experience the actual pain of a long list being enumerated or tabs not working to switch to a critical screen to pay your taxes or expandable controls not working to convey life-saving information about how to take care of your child from the CDC or similar websites, etc.

I hope that helps contextualize some of my concerns.

Thanks again for all the work on this.

Take care,

Sina

President, Prime Access Consulting, Inc.

Phone: 919-345-3832

https://www.PAC.bz

Twitter: @SinaBahram

Personal Website:  <https://www.sinabahram.com> https://www.sinabahram.com