RE: 48 hour Call For Consensus regarding Resolutions from the May 19, 2016 ARIA Working Group meeting

Matt,

I think what you would like to see is trees and treegrids used similar to
the way tables and grids will be used. With the current definitions of
trees and treegrids that won't happen. Until we have an understandable
parallel structure for trees, I do not want to limit use of treeitems. When
I have a tree of objects, I have no other structure to use.

The definition of treegrid is non-intuitive and treegrids will not be
widely used. You can't convince a developer or anyone else a treegrid is
similar to a tree when they read the definition. The definition of treegrid
is 'A grid whose rows can be expanded and collapsed in the same manner as
for a tree.'  A tree has branches and can express relationships like
parent/child. A row is usually associated with a data table where the
values in the row are associated with a category.  I can't visualize what
happens when you expand a row.  A grid represents a rectangular system
where rectangles are vertically and horizontally aligned. If you expand a
row - whatever that means what happens to the rectangles?

Until we have a usable alternative to a tree for complex objects - and
treegrid is not it. I don't want to limit use of treeitems.

     Regards,

    Fred Esch
 Watson, IBM, W3C
  Accessibility

 IBM Watson       Watson Release Management and Quality