Re: 7 Day Call for Consensus March 17, 2016 ARIA Working Group Resolutions

Hi Jon,

I agree. The concern though is one of trust: non-sighted users are trusting
their browser and AT to be accurate here.

Allowing authors to add a role that suggests some form of security, without
that security being implemented at the browser/AT level, means those users
have to trust the page author when they 'wisper' to the non-sighted user
"ya, this is secure", when, in fact, it may not be. Simply having a special
role that does nothing more than suggest it's secure does nobody any
favors. You could just as easily use aria-label="password field" and be
equally secure (or non-secure, as the case may be).

In other words, if we are looking to establish a generic password labelling
mechanism, we need to ensure it also meets ALL of the expected security &
privacy requirements already know to be associated with that input type; we
must ensure it is indeed a password field in more than name alone.

JF