Re: 7 Day Call for Consensus March 17, 2016 ARIA Working Group Resolutions

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 13:22:13 +0200, Rich Schwerdtfeger
<richschwer@gmail.com> wrote:

> No. We spoke to Microsoft browser people. They did not believe we made
> the problem worse.
>
> Our solution thus far actually narrows it for screen reader users.

I think there are further issues. With a real HTML password input,
browsers have specific behaviour, like blocking copy, offering to add the
password to a password manager instead of recording it for future
autocomplete, and the like.

The solution of echoing characters is better than nothing, but for users
who frequently type a given password, it seems quite likely that they will
be at least halfway through before they realise that they have exposed it
and stop.

The current approach seems to have the long-term problem that it blurs the
difference between a real password field and something that seems like one
to the point where users are no longer able to make a decision for
themselves based on knowledge of what they are actually doing.

I'd like to understand the use cases that make people think it is
worthwhile providing a custom password field.

I can imagine streamlining the process of using an alternative
authentication scheme, but I am not sure that the benefit here is
worthwhile. There is also making the password field fit the local style,
which is a definite benefit e.g. for reducing cognitive load, but I'm not
convinced it is worth the cost in security - in particular because I fail
to see how an ARIA role would help much in that use case.

> I asked Cynthia to reach out to Microsoft as I felt their browser team
> would be more experienced in dealing with browser security issues than
> an interest group. That said, who do you recommend I ask in the security
> ig? Are they active?

THe IG has the official role of doing review in much the same way APA does
for accessibility. The idea is that it has access to a broader range of
experts than any one product team since for starters it has participants
in multiple product teams. At the same time, as you know, that doesn't
actually guarantee a particular question gets all those people engaged,
but I think it is worth at least asking.

You should ask Virginie Galindo, the chair of the group, or send a direct
request to the group yourself - or I can do so if you like.

Their activity level rises and falls :S like many review groups.

cheers

Chaals