Re: 7 Day Call for Consensus March 17, 2016 ARIA Working Group Resolutions

> I don’t know for sure yet but if VoiceOver is using the HTML password
input type to decide if the characters are masked and echo a sound then
this is a problem for custom password fields. So, let’s say you don’t put a
role=“password” on the field VoiceOver will echo the characters even if
they were not obscured. If you do put a role=“password” and it speaks the
semantic sounds vs. the characters and the author has not obscured the text
then the user does not know that the text he is typing is in the clear.

Hi Rich,

Therein lies the root of the problem.

Creating a newly abstracted role that suggests or implies any form of
Privacy or Security has to have a mechanism whereby the end user can trust
what their system is telling them is in fact true. I recognize getting
browser vendors on board here may be problematic, perhaps even not
possible, but - have we even asked? Getting 5 or 6 browsers on-board may
ultimately be easier (effort wise) than chasing after 20 or more different
screen reader vendors (The AFB lists 18 possible tools on their website at:
http://www.afb.org/ProdBrowseCatResults.asp?CatID=49)

> I have a to-do to reach out to other vendors - previous post. Dolphin and
GW Micro were on my list to reach out to. However, it is impractical to ask
the working group to reach out to every vendor possible. For example, their
are screen reader vendors in Japan. As chair I am going to draw a line
there. We need to prove 2 implementations and although this is not a MUST
statement I think for security we should try to get 2 implementations
regardless. More than that is beyond what is required by the working group.

Without committed support from more than just 2 AT Vendors, I think I would
have to push back on the CfC and this proposed ARIA attribute fairly
strenuously. As this thread has shown, this is more of a concern than you
may want to admit, and in the case of Security and Privacy, I personally
would tend to err on the side of caution.

So far, I have tentatively agreed with Joanie's proposed fix for this
problem as being a pragmatic compromise, but with caveats.
Getting implemented support from Freedom, GW-Micro, Dolphin, Orca and NVDA
would be a great start, but absent in your list is Voiceover, and failing
to get Apple on board would be a huge gap in coverage - I would suggest a
game-changer. As well, what of newer entrants into this field (Amazon's
latest entry, which Peter Korn was showing at CSUN, Android TalkBack, etc.)?

Finally, I am also somewhat concerned that you seem quite prepared to
abandon the needs and expectations of non-North American screen reader
users so blithely (ref: Japanese screen readers), simply in the interest of
expediency. I fail to see how that benefits anyone, and have concerns
around messaging that position going forward.

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Consultant