Re: Purpose and Extent

From: Owen Stephens <owen@ostephens.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 16:45:42 +0100
Cc: Jane Stevenson <jane.stevenson@jisc.ac.uk>, Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@dataliberate.com>, public-architypes <public-architypes@w3.org>
To: "Roke, Elizabeth Russey" <erussey@emory.edu>
I agree that the definition doesn’t really seem to fit archives and their content

Doing a bit more looking around, perhaps a better starting point is http://schema.org/QuantitativeValue. This is a generic Type allowing you to specify a value (amount), and either unitCode or unitText
If you look further down the page you can see all the properties currently in schema.org that can be expressed as a QuantitativeValue. These include:

height
width
depth
weight

So just thinking out loud here - a couple of options:

1. Add new properties that represent the types of measure we want to express (length, volume) - and let these take a QuantitativeValue
So you’d get something like:
schema:volume
	schema:QuantitativeValue
		schema:unitText “boxes”
		schema:value “3”

schema:length
	schema:QuantitativeValue
		schema:unitCode “LF”
		schema:value “12”

2. Add a single new property of “extent” (or similar) which takes a QuantitativeValue
schema:extent
	schema:QuantitativeValue
		schema:unitText “boxes”
		schema:value “3”

schema:extent
	schema:QuantitativeValue
		schema:unitCode “LF”
		schema:value “12”

Or we could implement both of course with ‘extent’ being a catchall

1. appeals as it avoids the library/archive use of ‘extent’ which is very specific and different to what might be generally understood. On the downside 1 requires us to agree on the set of measurements we need - and some may not be obvious (e..g if you are measuring something in ‘sheets’ is it a volume? or what?)

Owen