Re: Proposal for an 'Archive' Type

Hi Ingrid,

Thoughts inline below

~Richard
On 28 July 2015 at 01:40, Ingrid Mason <ingrid.b.mason@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kaching!
>
> My 2c (apologies upfront, I wasn't in the discussion at LODLAM in case
> this got worked over) and I'm looking at Schema.org for the first time
> properly.  Feel free to point me to some background reading and to resist
> opining.

Best place to start is Schema.org  and the FAQ
<http://schema.org/docs/faq.html>.  You will see from these that Schema.org
is a general purpose vocabulary (currently of 600+ Types and 900+
properties) for describing things on the web - I would add the implicit '*so
they can be discovered*'.  These aims - describing things and for discovery
- result in a certain uncomfortable reaction for those new to it.  Such as
books having a name not a title, Volcano <http://schema.org/Volcano> having
the ability to define a faxNumber, and your concerns about LocalBusiness.

> But.. I am having a reaction to the suggestion that an archive or library
> operates as a subclass of LocalBusiness.

Do not read too much into type name of LocalBusiness.  It is just a useful
way to combine the properties from Place and Organization plus openingHours
(see this pre-release view of Library <http://webschemas.org/Library> which
shows the type inheritance better)

> What's the purpose here?  To share information about the GLAM group entity
> or its collection/archival material or both?  I'm wagering both and that
> they need to be treated separately.
>

> Archives (as group entity) sit within diverse organisation types.
> Archives (as material that emerges from activities).
>
> Same goes for libraries and library collections.

The purpose of the potential archive.schema.org extension is to share
information about:

   - An archive organization with a physical/virtual presence (address,
   parentOrganization, department(s), openingHours etc.)
      - Organizations such as The National Archives
      <http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/>
      - Organizations of all types - commercial, not for profit,
      government, etc.
      - Organizations could add this to their other descriptive types e.g.
      An organization could be a Library AND an Archive
   - An archive - an archived collection of things
      - Ownership/responsibility not necessarily associated with an
      organization that declares itself an Archive.
   - Things within an archive
      - Including but not restricted to creative work

This discussion thread is focussed on the first of these.

> Could not a CollectingOrganisation entity be a type of Organisation?

It could be, but I'm not sure what extra value/properties would be gained
by this move - we would still need to add in most of what comes from
LocalBusiness.

> Rather than CreativeWork, perhaps HeritageObject or something equally
> stretchy to encompass diverse GLAM collection materials.

This will be the subject of another, I expect long, thread about what is
unique about things in an archive that we want to share and help make them
discoverable.