[widgets] Minutes from 22 May 2008 Voice Conference

The minutes from the WAF WG's May 22 Widgets voice conference are  
available at the following and copied below:


WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send  
them to the public-appformats mail list before May 29; otherwise the  
minutes will be considered approved.

-Regards, Art Barstow


       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

          Web Application Formats Working Group Teleconference
                               22 May 2008


       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-appformats/ 

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/05/22-waf-irc


           Art, Marcos, Mike, Arve, Benoit





      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Review Agenda
          2. [6]Announcements
          3. [7]Localization model
          4. [8]Auto Update
          5. [9]P&C Feedback
          6. [10]Media type registration
          7. [11]Widget URI scheme
          8. [12]Voice Conf schedule for June, July
          9. [13]Next f2f
      * [14]Summary of Action Items

    <marcosbot> he will and he did

    <MikeSmith> trackbot-ng: start meeting

    <MikeSmith> trackbot-ng, start meeting

    <trackbot-ng> Date: 22 May 2008

    <arve> ArtB: will call in RSN

    <MikeSmith> ArtB: if you do "trackbot-ng, start meeting" it takes
    care of all other setup for you

    Regrests: Claudio

    <scribe> Scribe: Art

    <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

Review Agenda

    AB: agenda sent yesterday:
    ... any comments, suggested changes?

      [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-appformats/ 

    <marcosbot> cool music?



    AB: charter update, Mike?

    MS: one comment said we should add something related to offline apps
    but we won't do that

    AB: our Charter expires 31 May

    MS: there will be YA extension
    ... one request said cross domain access should be in a separate WG
    with a short bounded scope
    ... not clear how that will be resolved
    ... regarding the location API, likely to put that in a separate WG
    ... expect an annoucement to the AC soon regarding the progress
    ... will give the AC another 3 weeks to submit comments

    MC: when will this process end? It's been going on for about 7

    MS: I don't want to over estimate but it could take about two more
    months to get everything resolved
    ... there could be a high probablity to create a separate WG for the
    AC work

    MC: but the work is mostly done

    MS: but there isn't consensus about what should be specified

    AB: is the reality, the Team waiting for the July 1-3 AC/XDR meeting
    to occur before a decision is made?

    MS: that hasn't been raised
    ... but that could make sense to wait
    ... we will definitely get a charter extension so we can continue to
    publish documents

Localization model

    AB: we've had comments from Addison Philips and David Clarke
    ... what is the status, Marcos?

    MC: the comments were very good.
    ... Addison has offered to contribute to the model

    AB: Mike, do we have to worry about IPR and Addison's contribution?
    ... he doesn't work for Yahoo! anymore, AFAIK
    ... and they aren't members of WAF WG

    <marcos_> MC: he works for Amazon

    <marcos_> MC:AFAIK

    MS: Addison is an Invited Expert

    ACTION Smith talk to Richard Ishida about IPR concerns with Addison
    Philips directly contributing to the Widgets P-and-C spec

    <scribe> ACTION: Smith talk to Richard Ishida about IPR concerns
    with Addison Philips directly contributing to the Widgets P-and-C
    spec [recorded in

    <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-177 - Talk to Richard Ishida about IPR
    concerns with Addison Philips directly contributing to the Widgets
    P-and-C spec [on Michael(tm) Smith - due 2008-05-29].

    <marcos_> He said "(personal comments follow)"

    MS: we need to be careful when people working for a company say "I'm
    just commenting as a citizen, not as a representative of my

    AB: I agree with Mike
    ... I am a very poor judge about "what is patentable?"

    MS: agree; that's why I'll pursue this; should have some relevant
    feedback on this issue by our next Voice Conf

    MC: David Clarke proposed a slightly different model
    ... I responded it's a bit complicated
    ... It's a good idea, I just don't think we want to do what he

    Presen+ Benoit

    AB: I thought Marcos' response to David Clarke made sense and I
    support it
    ... anyone else?


Auto Update

    AB: comment from Michael Davey

      [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-appformats/ 

    MC: I told him the existing model is quite old and needs to be

    AB: auto update is important but we don't have any new proposals

    MC: I can create an updated model
    ... we can leverage quite a bit from HTTP

    BS: I think we should continue to work on it

    ABe: agree we should continue; would go so far as to say it should
    be required

    <scribe> ACTION: Barstow send a link to Nokia Widget solution for
    updates [recorded in

    <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-178 - Send a link to Nokia Widget
    solution for updates [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-05-29].

    AB: I found the document:

      [19] http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/How-to_create_self- 

P&C Feedback

    AB: Michael Davey submitted some comments

      [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-appformats/ 

    MC: I responded to all of Michael's comments
    ... I'm concerned about the Java model because it introduces a
    business model I'm not comfortable with

    AB: any comments on Marcos' response?

    ABe: I think some of what David proposed is more related to an
    implemenation detail and should be codified in the spec

    BS: yes I tend to agree; could have some non-normative text, perhaps

    MS: I think Marcos' response was good; don't want to add any new
    hurdles for the developers

    MC: the second comment was about making the config file the first
    file in the ZIP
    ... but that would require a special too; it also would affect the
    L10N model where an widget resource can have multiple config files

    AB: anything else from Michael's comments?

    MC: no

Media type registration

    AB: we talked about this in Dublin but want to understand what needs
    to be done
    ... Marcos, do you need some help?

    MC: if someone wants to help, that'd be good

    AB: I can help or find someone in Nokia to help

    MC: the security considerations section is open

Widget URI scheme

    AB: we now have a section in the P&C spec about the Widget URI
    ... [21]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#the-widget1

      [21] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#the-widget1

    MC: could be helpful in cross-Widget communication

    ABe: also can be useful with DOM attributes
    ... need to specify syntax constraints
    ... Think requiring UUIDs is overkill; that should be an
    implemenation detail
    ... The main requirement is uniquness and UUIDs are one way to get
    the uniqueness

    MC: we could just say informatively, that UUID is one way to get

    <marcos_> The current proposal is widget-URI = "widget:" "//" UUID
    "/" zip-relative-path

    MC: think it makes sense to specify something

    ABe: what would be gained?

    MC: guarantees a globaly unique identifier

    AB: but UUID is not the only way to achieve that

    MC: agree

    <marcos_> widget-URI = "widget:" "//" random "/" zip-relative-path ?

    ABe: yes, hashing could also be used
    ... I don't think we need to recommend anything specific

    MC: OK, I'll change the wording to something non-Normative

    <marcos_> widget-URI = "widget:" "//" random "/" name-of-widget

    MC: we may also want the name of the widget to be part of the URI

    ABe: I don't see the value in adding the name
    ... doesn't really identify the widget

    <marcos_> widget://aaaadsfdaa/hello.wgt/image.png

    MC: could be useful (see above proposal)

    ABe: don't want to add redundant info

    <marcos_> widget://aaaadsfdaa/image.png

    ABe: could get name elsewhere

    <marcos_> widget://aaaadsfdaa/image.png <--- this is the final

    AB: I think everyone should review this new scheme and submit
    ... any other comments about this scheme?


    MC: I noticed there is a URI Scheme registrar
    ... what do we need to do?

    MS: similar to the Media type registration
    ... put it into the spec itself
    ... then we send it to the right IETF board and ask them for review
    and approval

    MC: OK
    ... I'll put all three proposals on the mail list to get broader

    AB: should we include the TAG?

    MS: agree; let's get their input earlier rather than later
    ... worst case is they say "not in our scope"

    AB: this probably means some more work for Marcos

    MC: that's OK

Voice Conf schedule for June, July

    AB: do we want to continue weekly calls?

    MC: yes

    BS: OK

    ABe: with summer coming, maybe we want to go every two weeks

    MC: OK with me

    AB: either way is OK with me

Next f2f

    AB: I gathered quite a bit of data about people
    ... prefs but I haven't consolidated that info

    BS: and where?

    AB: Claudio has stated Telecom Italia can be a host

    BS: we can host Paris

    AB: before next VC I will review people's prefs and be ready at the
    May 29 call with a straw proposal
    ... meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Barstow send a link to Nokia Widget solution for
    updates [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: Smith talk to Richard Ishida about IPR concerns with
    Addison Philips directly contributing to the Widgets P-and-C spec
    [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 22 May 2008 12:14:03 UTC