RE: Mozilla security review of Access Control

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Close, Tyler J. wrote:
> Ian Hickson:
> > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> > >
> > > Should we send cookies and auth headers for cross site requests: For
> > > now we decided not to, but i'd like to bring this issue up in other
> > > forums too, will do so here shortly. This issue will not be dealt
> > > with tomorrow since it's simply to big to reach a conclusion.
> >
> > For what it's worth, lack of user credentials on the request would
> > make most uses of cross-domain XHR pretty much useless for us. We need
> > to know who the user is so that we can affect their data, and we don't
> > want to give the remote site access to those credentials.
>
> Why couldn't your application could give the remote site access to
> different credentials that provide the information you need, but don't
> reveal the user's primary credentials?

If the command is something simple like adding an event to a calendar, the
ideal UI doesn't involve the user doing anything in the way of giving
credentials -- or indeed anything else -- to anyone. Just a click "add
this event to my calendar" or some such. We still need to know who the
user is.