Re: Accountability in AC4CSR

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, John Panzer wrote:
>
>>> (Though they might need to use different headers, of course -- we
>>> obviously can't allow scripts doing cross-origin requests to
>>> arbitrarily change HTTP authenticiation headers.)
>>>
>> Sorry, it's not obvious to me.  We're talking about a situation where
>> the server has explicitly opted in to CSRs.  I can understand not
>> sending authorization data from the browser itself by default, maybe,
>> but to block scripts from setting a header seems unnecessary and will
>> just lead to X-Authorization:.
>>

> There's no way we can allow a distributed authorisation credentials attack
> on systems using username/password authentication or cookie authentication
> mechanisms. The browser vendors just wouldn't let implement anything that
> allowed that.

What mechanism do you propose clients and servers implement use to
authenticate users for CSR requests?  Because servers have to implement
_something_.  Realistic mechanisms have to be resistant to distributed
brute force attacks even without AC4CSR (thank you, Storm Worm).

On a side note, I hope that servers opting in to CSR would never
consider using username/password auth on each request.  Since it is
possible to implement username/password auth in ways opaque to browsers
("&u=foo&pass=bar"), perhaps this is worth a note in the security section.

John