RE: Accountability in AC4CSR

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Close, Tyler J. wrote:
> L. David Baron wrote:
> >
> > [...] This is already possible with things like the basic (map
> > display) part of the Google Maps API only because there aren't
> > cross-site restrictions on image loading  [...]
> >
> > In what cases is accountability for actions needed for such
> > fully-public resources?
>
> It may not be, in which case the user authentication cookies are also
> not needed. So public resources could be safely accessed by a design
> that did not send user cookies with the cross-domain request. Sending
> the cookies creates the issue of how to handle accountability.

We'd still like cookies sent even for cross-site image requests for the
Google Maps API, e.g. so that we can send user-personalised map tiles. For
example, one could imagine that map tiles would be localised based on the
user's preferences instead of based on geographic location or the
embedder's language, in which case we'd need the cookie.