Re: Proposal for a way to avoid a round-trip on every POST when dealing with large numbers of URIs

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 00:06:52 +0100, Close, Tyler J. <tyler.close@hp.com>
wrote:
> Unfortunately, I don't understand any aspect of it yet. For example,
> where is the fast path for letting through a non-GET request to a
> distinct URI without additional requests?

The first non-GET request will typically require three (though in an
"ideal" case two) to get a cached URI prefix in the client. Any subsequent
request to a URI that starts with that URI prefix will be let through
immediately.

For an initial OPTIONS request (desired request method is POST) to
/test/foo on some server the server could reply with

   Access-Control:allow <*> method POST
   Method-Check-Policy-Path: /test/
   Method-Check-Max-Age:3600

The UA then does a subsequent request to /test/ where the reply is

   Access-Control:allow <*> method POST
   Method-Check-Policy-Path: /test/
   Method-Check-Max-Age:3600

(Then the UA does the actual request to /test/foo.)

Because the request URI and the Method-Check-Policy-Path value match all
subsequent requests starting with /test/ in the next hour will not require
additional requests and go straigh through.

Hope that helps.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>