Re: [ ACTION-107] Updating version list identifier algorithm

Marcos, Arve,

On Sep 10, 2007, at 3:48 AM, ext Marcos Caceres wrote:

> Hi Arve,
>> Comparing version lists
>> 2. Compare the list items n[p] and m[p] using a natural sort
>> algoritm [1]
>
> I've been reading over the Unicode Collation Algorithm (UCA) [1] and
> I'm getting the feeling that requiring implementations to support UCA
> (or something similar) would be overkill for version information:
> localized strings comparison in an internationalized context gets
> quite complicated as you would need to identify which language the
> version information is written in, etc, to do it properly. It also
> opens up a big can of worms about internationalization support for
> just one minor area (versioning), and not for others
> (resources/content adaptation).
>
> Even though I originally pushed for having strings in the version
> identifier, after reconsideration I think we should drop back to the
> original proposal of just using non-negative integers delimited by a
> "." (as Firefox, and Yahoo!'s Widget engine currently does):
>
> eg. 0.1, 1.0, 1.101.03, etc

I tend to agree the original proposal (just using non-negative
numbers) should be sufficient for v1.0.

If there is a compelling Use Case for a richer syntax that is
addressed in a deployed system, perhaps that syntax could be
considered in a subsequent version of the spec.

Regards,

Art Barstow
---