Re: Widgets on low memory devices

On 6/22/07, Alex Linde <alex@joemoby.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been reviewing the widget requirements with regard to implementation
> on low memory devices. Within our proposed implementation we would like to
> have widgets with one or more views - essentially a minimized view for the
> "widget dashboard" with an option for a widget to maximize to full screen.

This is possible within the framework you have proposed, however for a
> single "index.html" it still requires that all views are loaded by the
> browser or widget engine.

My question is whether the ideal implementation of multiple views should be:

> - Separate html files within the widget - essentially requiring that each
> view can save state to pass to the other.
> - Individual div sections in the index.html with style.display = "none"
> for views that should be removed from memory.
> - ..something else?

Admitedly. I quite like Yahoo!s solution to this problem: They use a Dock
object that takes a serialized XML document as a argument. This is very
convinient because it allows one to overcome many the problems at once.

Memory:
  - on activate widget, deactivate docked reprentation. If memory if low,
and if this can be tested, then you can attempt to strip down what is going
to be shown in the dock.

Separate html files within the widget
  -Either generate the DOM from scratch,
or load it dynamically from within the widget package

Would it be possible for the group to suggest a recommended method of

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au