Re: [XBL] Animation element targetting

Cameron, Doug, Ian,

On Jan 13, 2007, at 6:51 PM, ext Doug Schepers wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>> By keeping these features in a separate specification, they can be
>> updated independently of the XBL specification itself, enabling
>> faster turnaround and a more modular approach.
>> Keeping the XBL2 specification smaller is also one of our design
>> goals, as we would like to allow more implementations to help XBL2
>> exit CR, and not all those implementations will necessarily
>> support SVG and animations.
>
> I personally think this is a very sensible suggestion.  There are
> ups and downs to the idea of creating a separate spec, though.
> You've listed the major advantages, all of which I agree with.

Yes, I agree Ian's suggestion is sensible and recommend it.

> Disadvantage:
> * as with "profiles", there's a risk that "XBL extensions" aren't
> widely implemented, decreasing the likelihood that authors can rely
> on that capability

Even if the extensions were included in the XBL2 spec there is no
guarantee they would be [completely] implemented.

> * dramatically increases the "time to market" for that particular
> technology's use of XBL

I don't understand this; surely those interested in the extension
could closely track the XBL2 spec's progression.

> * languages must conform to and special-case for XBL, rather than
> vice versa (I see this as a fair trade off, since I think that XBL
> will be one of the fundamental Web technologies, and it's
> reasonable for languages to have to take it into account)
>
> The first couple disadvantages are big ones, though.

Overall I think the advantages of putting language-specific
extensions in separate specs dominates.

Regards,

Art Barstow
---