Re: [XBL] - please remove reference to HTML5

Anne,
I generally agree with Dean, but more specifically:

1) The XBL spec's references section needs to distinguish between normative
and informative references.

2) Normative references represent an indirect inclusion of a different
specification. In most cases, it is not appropriate for W3C specifications
to normatively reference specifications that get changed at the whim of the
authors and/or which do not have an associated patent policy. (I think
that's the thrust of Dean's email.)

3) It might be OK to reference the HTML5 spec as published by the WhatWG as
an *informative* reference (particularly as a temporary editing solution),
but it would be better if the features from the WhatWG's HTML5 spec were
submitted to the W3C, discussed in appropriate W3C working groups for
possible inclusion in W3C specs, and then have the XBL spec reference the
relevant W3C specs informatively (or normatively if a required feature in
XBL is defined within the other W3C spec).

4) If there is a need to recognize and congratulate the WhatWG for its
HTML5 work somehow, then it makes sense to do this recognition within an
acknowledgements section rather than the main body of the spec or the
normative part of references section.

Jon

=Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@us.ibm.com>
Web Architect, Emerging Technologies
IBM, Menlo Park, CA
Mobile: +1-650-926-5865

             "Anne van
             Kesteren"
             <annevk@opera.com                                          To
             public-appformats         public-appformats@w3.org
             -request@w3.org                                       Subject
                                       Re: [XBL] - please remove reference
                                       to HTML5
             01/10/2007 09:29
             AM

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:56:34 +0100, Dean Jackson <dino@w3.org> wrote:
> I think this isn't appropriate in a last call specification, and
> especially not a candidate recommendation.

Let me try again. How does the specification improve by removing that
reference? In due course that reference will likely hold the information
the reader wants to know.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>