Re: [XBL] - please remove reference to HTML5

On 11/01/2007, at 12:03 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:00:06 +0100, Dean Jackson <dino@w3.org> wrote:
>> This comment comes from the W3C Staff.
>>
>> Please remove the references to the HTML5 specification, at least
>> in the version published by the W3C. To be clear, this is not a
>> negative comment on HTML5 -- the reference is ok, but a W3C
>> specification should not rely on normative behaviour described in
>> an unstable specification.
>
> Isn't that only true for recommendations? And only for references
> to W3C documents? That's what I understood from:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/mid/1144244790.13341.43.camel@jebediah (Member
> only)

There are no formal rules on this topic, only a suggestion in the W3C
Manual of Style.

In this case, the referenced spec says:

[[[
This is a work in progress! This document is changing on a daily if
not hourly basis in response to comments and as a general part of its
development process.
Implementors should be aware that this specification is not stable.
Implementors who are not taking part in the discussions are likely to
find the specification changing out from under them in incompatible
ways.

]]]

I think this isn't appropriate in a last call specification, and
especially not a candidate recommendation.

Dean