Re: [XBL] Conformance

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Cameron McCormack wrote:

>   (The algorithms in this specification are generally written with more
>   concern over clarity than over efficiency.)
>
> s/over/for/g

Fixed.

>   The language in this specification assumes that the user agent expands
>   all entity references, and therefore does not include entity reference
>   nodes in the DOM. If user agents do include entity reference nodes in
>   the DOM, then user agents must handle them as if they were fully
>   expanded when implementing this specification.
>
> Language doesn’t include entity reference nodes in the DOM, user
> agents do.  (Language also doesn’t make assumptions, the authors of
> the specification do.)  By saying that UAs “must handle them as if
> they were fully expanded”, does this mean that they need to actually
> expand them? What if they cannot be expanded (the external DTD wasn’t
> fetched)?

The language doesn't include them in the DOM; the second part of the
sentence is using the UAs as the subject.

It doesn't mean they have to expand them, it merely means that they must
be treated as if they were expanded.

Could you give an example of what you think this leaves unclear? I don't
really see a problem with this text. I'm not really sure how else to
phrase it.